Why should I prep my home for pictures?
Most people start their home search online, so it’s important to make your first impression count! Whether you hire a professional real estate photographer or do it yourself, follow these tips to prepare your home for the best real estate photos possible:
- Thoroughly clean whole house (vacuum carpet, mop hard floors, clean countertops, clean windows)
- Turn all overhead lights and lamps ON
- Replace all burned out light bulbs
- Use bulbs of the same temperature (ALL incandescent or ALL compact fluorescent)
- Turn all ceiling fans OFF
- Turn all TVs OFF
- Turn all computer screens OFF
- Open blinds/window treatments to let in outside light
- Remove personal photographs (or replace with general landscape/object photographs)
- Make all beds
- Remove small floor rugs to reveal actual flooring
- Place all shoes/jackets in closets
- Close garage doors
- Remove cars from driveway and front of home
- Clean up landscaping (mow, trim shrubs, clear leaves)
- Remove empty planters
- Use broom to remove cobwebs from eaves and door frames
- Remove visible water hoses
- Remove toys, sports balls, basketball goals, soccer goals, etc.
- Clean porch, tidy up outdoor tables/chairs/cushions
- Pillows/cushions should be fresh, not faded
- Clear out kid’s toys, balls, frisbees, etc.
- Clean pool
- Remove pool vacuum/cleaner hose
- Hide pool cleaning supplies
- Turn on pool fountains/water features
- Remove trash cans
- Clear countertops completely. No knife blocks, baking supplies, mail, etc.
- Leave out max of one small appliance (ex. coffee maker)
- Clear outside of refrigerator of magnets, papers, photos, etc.
- Hide garbage cans in pantry or closet
- Remove dishes from sink, place in dishwasher
- Clear table, dust and polish the table top
- Use decorative place setting if available
- Feature one center piece such as a bouquet of flowers
- Straighten all chairs and space them evenly
- Remove child seats/booster chairs
- Remove stacks of magazines, papers, mail, etc.
- De-clutter fireplace mantel/hearth (no more than 5 items, including art)
- Clean interior of fireplace and re-paint if needed
- Fluff and arrange furniture pillows
- Remove kid’s toys
- Make bed, including decorative pillows/shams if available
- Press bed linens and bed skirts
- Clear nightstands of all personal items
- Store away phone/tablet charging cables
- Remove all clutter from top of dressers
- Remove family photos from walls
- Clean under bed, removing items that may show in the photos
- Remove personalized names from walls
- Remove wall stickers/posters
- Clear countertops completely. No soap, toothbrushes, medications, deodorant, etc.
- Put toilet seats down
- Close closet doors
- Remove shampoo, soap, loofahs, etc. from showers and tubs
- Remove dirty towels – leave out only new, unused towels
- Remove floor mats
- Place food and water bowls in pantry or closet
- Place pet beds/toys in pantry or closet
- Use lint roller on furniture to remove pet hair
- Contain pets in hidden crate or outside
- Clear back yard of pet waste/toys
Selling your home is like selling a product – it must be marketed correctly to reach a specific buyer. Although your furnishings and decor are great for your lifestyle, it’s important to optimize your home for the future buyer.
If you are a real estate agent or trying to sell your home on your own in the Lexington, South Carolina area and in need of an experienced photographer to help you get the best pictures possible of your home, book a real estate photography session with Skyline Pictures today! We also offer real estate videos, aerial photography and video, and real estate marketing to fulfill all of your needs.